Sunday, March 1, 2009

Online Marketing- It's true I tell you...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... We've heard all the sales pitches, we are getting annoyed with the rubbish that is out there. How can we tell, what is actually going to work, and what isn't? I find that the best methods of learning, is by actually doing. So, be prepared for lots and lots of downturns. These can break your spirit, they can make you give up.

However, the survivors of this are the ones that actually have the stamina and persistance to go on. They usually end up making a few pennies more. They don't immediately make thousands. I wish that were true, but they do progressively get better at the skill of marketing and they find that they can judge, predict what is going to happen.

In the accountancy of business you have something called a cashflow budget forecast. I have found that to be really useful, because in the accounting world, you would have to be able to predict what the market is going to be like financially. The same thing applies in marketing.

Keep your eye on the financial news, you can usually find out whether your predictions are going to be correct or not. I usually work on a 5% increase of traffic on the website, but sometimes I fall short of that, if however, it is a 10% decrease from last months traffic, I would ask myself, what did I do in the last month that my followers, customers didn't like. Or was it that my content has gone out of date and I need to update all the content on the site. These things play a massive part in your venture of successful marketing.

If someone tells you, they only work 20 hours a week on their website.... I tell you, they are liars. Especially if they proclaim to be making thousands of pounds or dollars. IF THEY CAN PROVE THAT, THEN THEY MUST BE DOING BLACKHAT METHODS. Which is not wise and it could do your site more harm than good.

So here are a few pointers to running a successful website:
* Keep your content up to date
* Make sure you have your meta tags in place
* Tag your pictures
* Don't listen those that say they only work 20 hours a week, you are more likely to work 60 hours or more.
* Work on a 5% traffic increase.

These targets are attainable, just trust yourself and things will start to fall into place. Afterall, most marketing programs want you to part with your money.... Becareful.

No comments: