Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When I made my first crochet blanket!


I had no idea just how time consuming it was going to be. It took up most of my day just to achieve a 22" x 22" square. It was yellow, white and lime double knit wool. I used a 3.50 needle. I was so chuffed with making it, I took on a much bigger project which I will tell you about at a later stage.

My white, yellow and lime green blanket was an experiment to say the least. I needed to brush up on my crochet skills and also see if I could achieve my goals. I have this tendency to start something and not quite finish it, so I had to finish it. It was a must... I persevered and I finally finished it with a scallop shell edge.

I decided that that blanket was ideal for a pram blanket or pushchair. So I went onto ebay and tried to sell it.... for the price of the wool. This however did not go so well and it was up there for ages.... Finally, someone decided to buy it. I actually got more for it than I expected and that drove me on to make more than just a pram blanket.

In doing the blanket, I learnt how to do other variations of stitches and patterns, so that I could create something unique. As you can probably guess, my first pattern that I learned by doing the blanket was the scallop edging. I found techniques of this on youtube. The woman that I was watching on the video, I recognised her accent to be South African. That made me smile, because I myself lived in South Africa. I have the same accent.

So for anyone out there that is creative and doesn't really want to compete too much with the commercial sector. I suggest you find yourself a nice quiet hobby which can bring you pleasure, self esteem and confidence. It will also make your bank balance grow, ever so slightly, but just enough to help you buy the next projects' materials.

No comments: